Sociology is the scientific study of human culture, relationships and behaviour. Sociologists observe, study and predict how and why human beings act as individuals and as in groups.
Sociologists employ a range of alternative perspectives to examine the world from different perspectives; using a toolkit of different ways of thinking to analyse group behaviour. You will learn how to ‘read’ people’s actions and learn new ways to make sense of Society at large!
This course will allow students to continue on to A-Level Sociology at Post-16 education.
Programme Of Study
Key Stage 4
Why do we teach Sociology?
Sociology is a Social Science. This means that the learning is expressed through a combination of short and long-length extended writing and Scientific research methodologies.
What would I learn in Sociology?
- Paper 1: Students answer three questions on the following topics: The Sociological Approach, The Family, Education.
- Paper 2: Sociological Research Methods, Crime and Deviance, Social Stratification. The GCSE is 100% exam based with three examinations.
How would I learn in Sociology?
There is a quantity of material to read and there will be an expectation that students engage in flipped learning: that they read material before they enter the lesson, in order to access the learning.
Students will also plan, conduct, evaluate and review their own Sociological experiments, describing their outcomes as extended writing pieces.
Key Subject Facts
- Exams 50% 50%
- Coursework 50% 50%
- Paper One is a written paper lasting for 1 hour and 45 minutes. It accounts for 50% of the GCSE qualification.
- Paper Two is a written paper lasting for 1 hour and 45 minutes. It accounts for 50% of the GCSE qualification. Students answer three questions on the following topics:
- GCSE Sociology is assessed through two written exams, each lasting 1 hour and 45 minutes
- The GCSE is 100% exam based: this means that there is no coursework to supplement your grade.
Staff in Department
Head of Department:
Ms G Webb
Mr P. Walker
Useful Website Links:
- AQA GCSE Sociology home page – https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/sociology/gcse/sociology-8192 – Course outline, resources and past-paper examples.
- GCSE Sociology Revision booklet (Exam 1) – https://www.shortcutstv.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Sociology-Revision_guide.pdf – Full Unit 1 (Exam 1) revision guide
- GCSE Sociology Revision booklet (Exam 2) – https://www.shortcutstv.com/blog/2018/03/02/gcse-revision-booklets/ – Full Unit 2 (Exam 2) revision guide
- The Student Room – https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/gcse/subjects/sociology/ – Online chatroom dedicated to discussing GCSE Sociology
Recommended Revision Guides:
Contact Sociology Department
Please use the form bellow to contact the English department or alternatively please email email@example.com