SEN Infomation

Below is a list of the named SENCOs for each site and their contact details:

  • Starbank Road – Miss Burley – 0121 464 2638
  • Bierton Road – Mrs Perry – 0121 464 0751
  • Hob Moor Road Primary – Miss Barnes – 0121 464 8412
  • Hob Moor Road Secondary – Miss Thomas – 0121 464 8412

For more information about SEN at Starbank School please expand the following tabs:

What additional needs can be supported at Starbank School?

We are a mainstream school that aims to meet the needs of all children and young people. We are working towards becoming a fully accessible school and will make reasonable adjustments to enable children and young people to be able to fully access our facilities and the curriculum.

For further details of our plans to move towards becoming a fully accessible school please refer to our Accessibility Plan, also on this website. The additional needs that we aim to support are listed below:

  • Communication and interaction
  • Cognition and learning
  • Social, emotional and mental health difficulties
  • Sensory and/or physical needs
How will the school identify if a child or young person has Special Educational Needs?

We aim to support all children through outstanding teaching and learning. However, if a class teacher from their assessments of a child or young person feel that they are not making the expected progress for their age they will plan for additional support to happen in class; that is in addition to differentiated work.

In most cases we would expect this approach to be sufficient. However, in some cases the class teacher may wish to speak to the SENCO who will suggest appropriate interventions and possibly involve outside services for advice. The parent/carer will be informed when this happens.

What kind of support is available at Starbank for a child or young person with Special Educational Needs?

The class teacher will plan additional support which may be delivered in a small group or individually by an adult in the classroom. For a specific intervention a child or young person may be given support out of the class for a short period of time during the day. This type of support will be identified on our intervention tracking system.

We also work closely with health professionals where a child or young person has a medical condition to ensure that an appropriate healthcare plan is in place that specifies the type and level of support required for their medical need. We also utilise the services of an NHS nurse for support and advice.

How will we measure the progress of your child in school?
  • Tracking of attainment of the child is made from various baselines.

  • Point of entry and exit data from interventions.

  • Feedback from the child, class teacher, teacher assistant, SENCO and outside agencies.

Who do I talk to if I have a concern about my child?

If you think that your child may have a special educational need or/and a disability we would want you to share your concern firstly with your child’s class teacher. At that meeting you

and the class teacher may decide that you would also like to consult the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) available on the site your child attends.

Below is a list of the named SENCOs for each site and their contact details:

Starbank Road – Miss Burley – 0121 464 2638

Bierton Road – Mrs Perry – 0121 464 0751

Hob Moor Road Primary – Miss Barnes – 0121 464 8412

Hob Moor Road Secondary – Miss Thomas – 0121 464 8412

We are very happy to meet with parents of new children to discuss their child’s additional need/s so that we can be sure that we have everything that we can do in place when they arrive to help your child settle well, with the best support we can offer.

What training and skills do the staff at Starbank receive to meet the needs of children with SEN?

Staff training needs are reviewed on a regular basis dependent on the needs of our children and whenever a need arises. Staff receive basic introductory training in areas such as those listed below although we do not employ specialist staff in these fields.

  • Hearing impairment
  • ·Visual impairments
  • Specific medical conditions including severe asthma, diabetes, epipen
  • Specific learning difficulties
  • Autistic Spectrum Disorder
  • Speech, language and communication needs
  • Behavioural difficulties
How will the school involve me in decisions about my child’s education?

If a class teacher feels the need to put in place additional support for your child they will make you aware of this. They will keep you fully informed about your child’s progress at a Parents’ Evening or a meeting specifically arranged for the occasion.

If the SENCO is involved with your child you will be invited to meet with them and the class teacher at least once a term to discuss progress and provision.

At all meetings we will ask for your views about any decisions to be made about your child’s education. You will be consulted before we involve a support service from outside of school and kept informed of their involvement. We will endeavour to arrange meetings for you to discuss your child with them face to face.

How can I be involved with my child’s learning and progress?

Our school has an open door policy, to ensure that parents are involved in the education of their child. At Starbank we:

  • Hold regular meetings with class teacher and the SENCO
  • Involve parents in target setting.
  • Seek parents’ views on Annual Review documents and LA documents.
  • Use home reading diaries.
  • Hold regular parent support groups and workshops.
  • Hold an annual SEN Information Report Review.
How will my child be involved in decisions about their learning?

We believe that all children should be able to express their views about in any decisions that are made for them. We use a variety of strategies to support this including:

  • One page profiles.
  • Involve child in meetings to review progress.
  • Visual timetables.
  • Prompt cards to promote independence.
  • Personalised work stations.
  • Learning breaks.
What do I do if I am not happy with the support my child is getting at school?

We would hope that you are happy with the support that your child receives but would expect you to contact us at school if you have a concern. We would encourage you to discuss your concern/s with the people already involved with your child, however, if you still are unhappy then we would encourage you to make an appointment with our Inclusion Manager, Mrs M. Alcock, or our Executive Head Teacher, Mrs S. Donsanjh

Which other services may become involved with my child?

We work closely with the local authority support services, health and social care bodies and voluntary sector organisations, to meet the needs of the children and young people with SEND.

  • The local authority teams we work with are Communication and Autism, Educational Psychology, Physical Difficulties Support, Pupil and School Support and Sensory Support.
  • In the health sector we are in contact with the Child Development Centre, Physiotherapy Service, Occupational Therapy Service, Speech and Language Therapy Service and Community Nurses. We also have employed an independent Speech and Language Therapist and an NHS school nurse who are with us one day every week.
  • We will meet with colleagues from the different Social Care services to plan for individual children including children who are ‘looked after’ by the local authority.
  • We have different voluntary sector organisations that we will work with at different times when the need for them to become involve has been identified.
How will the school support my child when they are changing school?

We will make contact with your child’s new school to make arrangements for the sharing of information about your child and how we support them to make expected progress in their learning. We will also discuss with the new school how we can make the move a happy and successful experience for your child.

For a pupil joining Starbank School we will meet with you and your child to talk about their needs and answer any questions about our school. We will also liaise with staff from your child’s previous school or setting to discuss your child’s needs.

How and when is our SEN provision reviewed?

We aim to review our provision with parents once a year. During March 2019 we hosted several parent meeting to review the SEN Information Report. The aim of the session was to gather parent feedback on the provision we provide for pupils listed as having special educational needs.

Discussions were informal; parents rotated around tables where SENCOs initiated discussions focused on the following areas: SEN Provision, SEN assessment, agency involvement and parental voice/involvement.

Invites were sent to parents on all sites and in all key stages. In order to gain a balanced perspective a range of parents were invited including parents of pupils whom are listed on our database as: SEN or EHCP.

The report will be reviewed again with parents in March 2020.

What other support services will help me outside school?

The Birmingham Local Authority’s Local Offer can be found at:

Starbank SEN Policy

Starbank Accessibility Plan